Writer/Director/Producer Matthew Holmes joins me in Episode 12 to discuss his feature film, THE LEGEND OF BEN HALL. It’s a microbudget biography about an Australian anti-hero who’s as mythical as American outlaw, Jesse James. Working within the Western genre, Matthew’s film promises to be a unique portrayal of an infamous bushranger.
In particular, we chat about:
- Making a start in animation instead of film school.
- How to define ‘breaking into’ the film industry.
- Making sacrifices to become a filmmaker.
- The mythology of bushrangers, the Australian version of American outlaw cowboys.
- The challenge of condensing a character’s lifetime into 2 hours.
- Writing while working full-time.
- Remaining faithful to real events.
- How a kickass Kickstarter campaign transformed a 10 min short film into a 45 min short film.
- How a short film version evolved into a feature.
- The Legend of Ben Hall YouTube channel
- The Legend of Ben Hall on IMDB
- The Legend of Ben Hall on Facebook
- The Legend of Ben Hall on Twitter
- The Legend of Ben Hall on Instagram
Leave me a Rating and Review in iTunes!
It won’t cost you a cent and it makes a big difference. The more you love the show, the higher this podcast is ranked in iTunes which helps new listeners (like you and me) discover it. That’s how I found my favourite shows. Just click the link above. It means a lot to me and the guests on the show.
You can subscribe directly from your phone. If you’ve got an iPhone, click the purple app named Podcasts. If you’ve got a Samsung phone or another Android phone, try the apps Stitcher or Overcast. Both are free. Or find me in iTunes on Mac and PC. Just search for ‘Ben Phelps’. Then tap SUBSCRIBE or LISTEN LATER. Every time I release a new episode, it’ll appear in your podcast feed. Easy peasy!
GOT SOMETHING TO ADD?
I love sharing stories and fostering discussion. So reach out to discuss this episode or anything else! Try Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or email. The links are in the right column (or the bottom of the screen if you’re reading this on a mobile device).